OK, time for the fortnightly update. I made some progress in many, many areas in the game, includng:
- added new upgrades items which improve health, inventory size, etc…
- added new status refill items which refill health, oxygen, etc…
- added some new character sprites
- created a new room transition system which is much improved over the previous version
- altered the cheat function to make it easier to use in the game
Had a few bugs in the game which really set me back trying to fix but I got everything resolved in the end.
I also released put a copy of the game online which can either be downloaded as an .exe or played via your internet browser. You can access the game here. I am looking to update these versions of the game every fortnight when I make a new blog post. Hopefully you will see the improvements that are being made as the game is developed.
Not much else to report, its been a fairly quiet (but busy) fortnight. That’s all for now…
Recently, I’ve not had a lot of time to work on development of the game, this is mostly due to life simply getting in the way. Although, when I did get time to develop the game, I used it well. Recently, I’ve been working all over the project in many different areas, such as:
- improving enemy AI behaviour which has produced good results so far
- improving the debug system, this will likely not be seen by many people but it really helps me during development
- world building, a fairly time consuming task to do. I have pretty much doubled the size of the in-game world over the last 2 weeks
I’ve came up with a better name for the game, “Southern Voyage”. This name may or may not be temporary, though for now it will do. “Oyster Island” was another idea I came up with but in the end I didn’t think it suited the feel of the game well. Coming up with names for games is a super difficult task I’ve discovered, thank goodness it only needs to be done once per game development cycle.
I am aiming to have a playable beta version of the game released in the very near future, no exact dates for now though.
There is still lots of development to be done on the game, but I am slowly working my way through it all and sticking to a decent schedule. That’s all for now…