I’ve been working away at a number of things since I last updated. The primary focus lately has been creating a working inventory system, which was a tricky task but I finished it and I’m happy with the end result. I’ve been making other small additions to the game like new enemies, terrain objects, upgrades, etc…
Overall, I’m trying to keep this project super small. I seem to be doing OK so far. Hopefully it’ll be finished before Christmas.
I’ve been developing the Project Oyster game for about a week in my spare time, I’ve made good progress since the initial game jam effort. Since then, I have taken a step back from the keyboard and have drawn up a basic action plan of what needs done to finish the game. I have been tackling the tasks one by one from the list, but there is quite a lot of stuff left to do. I’ve had to go back to old code a few times to improve it here and there, though I believe that’s a given for anything developed in a 4-hour time frame.
I hope to possibly add a bit of procedural generation into the finished product so it is different every time it is played, however if I find this too difficult it may not happen.
The art style to the game is fairly minimalist, I think it suits it as it allows everything to stand out from the background and I think its fitting for such a simple game.
I think I should have this game finished fairly soon, as long as I stay focussed and don’t let feature creep take hold. Watch this space…
I did a game jam a few days ago and created the game shown above in 4 hours.
I used a random game theme generator to choose a theme, it was “Oysters”. After reading up about them I found absolutely nothing that could be used for a game idea. So, I just made a game where you are an oyster and you need to get your pearls back. They appear randomly around the level and you are required to avoid the fast moving fish to get them.
I plan to develop this project further and release it as a more complete game in the future. For now it will just be known as “Project Oyster”.
I’ve been developing the game over the last month during most of my free time. Though I haven’t finished it yet, that means I missed the deadline I set myself :( I think from now on I am not going to set any more unrealistic goals to have projects completed by, I am just going to work as efficiently as I can and hopefully the game will be out this side of 2014 and it will be fun to play.
I’ve added lots of stuff to the game, such as:
new enemies like tanks (above shows temporary place holder images for them) and turrets
different environments to fly in like the upper atmosphere and caves
power-ups that will help during missions such as faster weapons and stronger defences
Still lots to do in the game, but at the same time I am trying to avoid making this into an overly large project. I don’t know when this will be out to be honest but I know I will be have to be happy with it before it is released.
Near the start of last year I came up with what I thought was an original name for my game featuring a box shaped robot, I called it Robox, however since then I have become aware of a game called Roblox. The names are different but unfortunately they are very similar and this is likely to cause confusion in the future. I’ve decided to rename the game to my second choice of name for the game, which is “Reboot Robot”, hopefully this will minimise any mix ups. That’s all for now.
After about a month of working on Project Glide, I have not yet completed the game. So I won’t be entering it into the Win Big competition :(
There has been considerable success in getting things up and running on the project though. I have got a design document which is detailed on most aspects of the game, I am using this to develop the game whilst avoiding feature creep.
The deadline to get the game done was helpful to motivate me but in hindsight it was too short, considering that I have a fairly time-intensive job at the moment as well.
I’m going to continue developing the game and set another deadline of this time next month, 28th July 2013, to finish it and get it in the Windows Store. I am much more dedicated to succeeding this time around but still, wish me luck :)
Got the WordPress blog finalised now, I’m pleased with the end result, that’s the easy part done now I just have to go develop something worthy of being posted about.
Just under a month left to go for the Win Big competition and things are taking shape in Project Glide in terms of gameplay and story. Details and screenshots to follow soon once I get everything figured out. I’ve been careful not to set my ambitions too high on this as I’ve done in the past. I have made up a simple timetable to keep it all straightforward:
31st May: Finalising design of game design document (gameplay, story, environment, etc…)
1st June -16th June: Development of game according to design document.
17th June – 19th June: Game testing sessions.
20th June – 27th June: Game testing feedback implementation, improvements in aesthetics (sound, graphics, etc…), creating/distributing press pack and posting of game to Windows Store.
28th June: Reintegrate into society.
Though for now I’m going to get some sleep, as it seems there is a long road ahead…
I’ve moved the blog to WordPress, apologies for the slight downtime during the transition. I should have everything up and running very soon. Currently working on making a new theme so the site looks similar to the old one, hopefully will have that done soon too. Back to it…